Okay, you all voted over on insta which post you wanted to see first – winter wardrobe must-haves or goals/favorite planner. And winter wardrobe must-haves won! (Don’t worry though! A post about goals, intentions, and my favorite planner will be coming soon!)
Although this post is called winter wardrobe must-haves, some of these items are year-round wardrobe must-haves, in my opinion. Some pieces can carry you from fall to winter and then into spring depending on how you layer and style them! Which is what makes a great wardrobe basic.
*This post contains affiliate links, which simply means the price stays the exact same for you, but I may receive a small commission when you purchase through my links. If you can, please purchase through my links as it helps support this blog. Thank you in advance!*
In this post, I’ll share some of my winter wardrobe must-haves and then several outfit suggestions and ways you can style each piece!
Let’s get to them!
These are a must for any wardrobe, in my opinion. A good pair of jeans (or two) will last you for years and will always be in style. Because of this, I think investing in at least one pair of designer jeans or higher-priced jeans is well worth the investment. Save up for a good pair or add them to your wishlist around Christmas or your birthday. Here are some of my favorites:
– Madewell 10″ button fly jeans (some on sale!)
– Mom jeans (I wore these a ton last fall! Currently 50% off!)
– Budget-friendly jeans (These are the best for the price – I wear these all the time!)
Next to having a good pair of denim jeans is having a go-to pair of black jeans. They give the slimming effect of black leggings while being a little dressier than denim jeans.
– These have been on my wishlist for awhile now (my birthday is next month 😉 **hint hint**)
– Budget-friendly black jeans (Have these and wear them with lots of outfits!)
I love a good pair of black leggings because they’re so versatile. You can wear them to the gym, dress them up, or wear them out and about running errands. They’re perfect for being comfortable all while still looking put together!
– My go-to black leggings for the gym or athleisure looks (worth the investment, IMO)
– These are almost an exact dupe for the more expensive ones above – for a fraction of the price! (seen worn here in the wine color – currently on sale!)
– Moto leggings (I found these last fall and LOVE them! You need these in your closet)
These are an essential for me all seasons of the year, not just in the winter. I love heavier, chunkier knit ones in the fall and winter, and lighter, flowier ones in the spring and summer. A cardigan is not only great for added warmth, but it can add a layer of interest, color, and pattern. It adds that little extra something that can pull a whole outfit together. Here are a few of my favorites:
– Gold chenille cardigan – seen worn here in my Target try-on session + here for brunch in Portland with girlfriends
– Cable knit open cardigan
– Love this longer cardigan – great for layering! Love it in this stripe too!
– This cocoon cardigan is SO soft and on major sale!
I love wearing a cami or lightweight tee under cardigans. They are great layering pieces to add to your winter wardrobe (and honestly, they’re a good wardrobe basic for year round)!
– This one is basic, simple, and perfect to pair with any cardigan. And under $18!
– This one adds a little lace for a more feminine touch. I love the pink and black! I’ll be ordering these next for myself!
– Here is another lacy option – a girl can never have too much lace 😉
– I love these tees from Madewell – the v-neck are my faves. (I wear a size medium) They come in a TON of colors – under $20!
– These are a great option from Target. Also in a stripe 🙂 And under $10!
– Asymmetrical snap pullover – I wear this all the time! Definitely worth the price (it goes on sale often too – so get the sale alert on this one!)
– Classic fleece pullover – this is my go-to living in the PNW (I wear a size medium, for reference)
– Cozy pullover + sherpa fleece pullover – I don’t own these, but I’ve seen them in the store, and they look and feel super cozy! If you’re looking for a more budget-friendly option, I’d get these for sure.
Crewneck sweatshirt (target or a&e)
– THE best sweatshirt for less than $20 – I have this in cream and wear it all the time! With jeans, leggings, skirts… the options are endless. (size medium to keep it more oversized) This sweatshirt has become so popular that Target made it in SO many more colors. I love the grey, wine, olive, green, and blush – basically any and all of them! You won’t regret getting this. (Target’s current promo – spend $40, save $10!)
– My other fave sweatshirt – I could basically write the same for this one – I own it in tan and wear it all the time. (My exact one, they don’t make anymore but these are similar! This one and this one)
So it’s hard to link sweaters in this category because honestly I find some of my favorite chunky sweaters at thrifting stores like Goodwill. But I’ve linked some that I’ve tried on and liked or have found browsing the web (a lot are on major clearance or out of stock being later in the season).
– Cozy tunic sweater – I tried this one on in store, and it would be super cute with leggings! Both small and medium fit me – depends what type of fit you’re going for.
– This one has a cute subtle, monochromatic stripe look!
– This chenille sweater is major on sale (less than $13!!) and would be super cute paired with high-waisted jeans or a midi pleated skirt!
Shoes + Accessories
Boot + booties
– These riding boots are a staple in my year round wardrobe. I got them in cognac for Christmas a couple years ago, and I wear them in the fall, winter, and spring at least 2-3 times a week. After doing the math, I’d say that’s worth the price!
– If you live in a rainy region or somewhere where you get some ice and snow, then investing in a good rain boot or snow boat is a smart investment. I love my Hunter rain boots, and I love these duck boots for a shorter option.
– I have these in brown and love them. They work great with jeans, skirts, and dresses in the spring and summer time!
– So many of you have asked about these cutout booties! I have them in cognac and wore them all the time in the fall (they’re great for transitioning into spring and summer too!)
– They are a dupe for these FP booties, which I own in the open-toe version and love them for summer! Definitely worth the investment!
I love a good baseball hat to throw on on those 3-day (sometimes more…) hair days. Here are a few of my favorites:
– Women’s baseball hat in black + blush
– Favorite Nike hat for the gym/athleisure
Another great hat to have is a wide-brim felt or wool hat. They’re perfect for that boho look!
– This one is from my favorite brand. It’s the one in my bio pic! A little spendy, but amazing quality.
– Target has some great affordable options this season – like this one in brown and here is it in black!
This is my favorite way to dress up any drab outfit. It seriously is the biggest bang for your buck and effort to add a little umph to your look.
– My favorite leather earrings – super lightweight and I get compliments every time I wear them. Every time. (I love size medium 🙂 but they’re all great sizes!)
– Loving this colorful trend in earrings right now – also extremely lightweight – I love these, these, and these!
– A classic look – these earrings are a bit heavier, so I would opt for the smaller size or wear them for dinner or shorter events. They start to hurt my ears if I try and wear them all day. But I love them, and I’m a little partial to the name 🙂 I love that they are completely customizable too!
– I got this longer one for Christmas in grey and love it! The longer length keeps the tops of my legs warm, which makes a huge difference. (You may recognize someone on this page 😉 I’m in a size med for reference)
– This shorter one (which converts to a vest!) would be great for the warmer regions. (Unfortunately, Target doesn’t sell mine anymore, but this is a close match!)
– This one is also a super cute option! Love the colors – more color options here!
Phew! That was a lot more than I had initially anticipated ha! I hope you were able to find some new items to add and revamp your winter wardrobe, as well as get some ideas for some pieces you may already have in your closet!
Having pieces you love, that last and give you great use, and are versatile to create different looks is vital in having a year-round wardrobe that you love and appreciate.
Now that I’ve shared some of my winter wardrobe must-haves, tell me – what are some of your must-haves? What did I leave off this list? I’d love to hear yours in the comments!